Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Goodbye Finals, Hello Reruns...

Finals are over, Winter break has begun. Unfortunately, so have reruns. The good news is, this gives me time to catch up on a few shows. I'm still woozy just thinking about FlashForward, so I'm going to attempt to catch up on Dollhouse, now that Fox is burning off the series in double scoops. Also, Scrubs and Better Off Ted are continuing to run over the holiday...not that it seems to be a good thing at this point. Damn you, ABC.

Better Off Ted was a little on the lame side this week, unfortunately, so I'm giving it an incomplete, mainly due to my inability to stay attuned to it. Scrubs, on the other hand, was a little better, so it gets a review.

The one question I had going into this "bonus" season was how they could keep the stories fresh while resetting the skill level of the doctors. To be honest, it's actually still going well. They've mostly removed the nurses from the equation, focusing on the teachers (Turk, JD, Cox), the students (whoever their names are...the blonde one, the other blonde one, Green Goblin's little brother, and the old one), and then Denise, who acts as a tweener for the two groups. Since the original seasons had a very tight Turk/JD relationship, this season is able to squeeze out some storylines by emphasizing that these new students are strangers flung together into a highly difficult situation. The teamwork theme of tonight's episode was well done for the most part. The JD/Turk stuff is getting reaaaaaally over the top though; it looks like they're just trying to milk the Zack Braff cow for every last drop before he bails for good. Ted's last hurrah was...I don't even know, to be honest. Just seems out of place for another good-bye when so many other characters have just been written off without having to have left Sacred Heart. At this point, I'm ready for JD and Kelso to go, keep Turk and Cox around as faculty, and then focus on the newbies for the rest of the season. It's very awkward right now, and it gets in the way of what is still some fairly sharp writing.

I've also been catching up on Veronica Mars, and I'm really digging the series. I'm almost halfway through Season 1, and I'm really regretting that it only lasted the three seasons now.

Russell got hosed. There, I said it.

Web Soup may be the best half-hour of humor on TV right now.

We'll see how much Dollhouse I can get through in the next week or so, let's have some Whedony goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment